Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Charles Babbage 26 December 1791 - 18 October 1871



Occupation : Mathematician/ analytical philosopher/ mechanical engineer and (proto-) computer scientist



On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.


Τα παραπάνω λόγια ανήκουν στον ίδιο τον Babbage, όμως εκτός από την αναλυτική και την διαφορική του μηχανή, το έργο του ήταν σημαντικό και σε άλλους τομείς.

Έτσι, κέρδισε ανάμεσα σε άλλα και ένα Χρυσό Μετάλιο από την Royal Astronomical Society "για την εφεύρεση μιας μηχανής που υπολογίζει μαθηματικούς και αστρονομικούς πίνακες" - άλλωστε και ο σκοπός της διαφορικής του μηχανής ήταν να κατασκευάσει ακριβείς τριγωνομετρικούς και λογαριθμικούς πίνακες.
Χάρη στο έργο του πάντως ως Αστρονόμος, το όνομά του δόθηκε σε έναν κρατήρα στην Σελήνη.


Άλλο ένα πεδίο που διέπρεψε ήταν η αποκρυπτογράφηση (φυσικά δεν είχε πρόβλημα ούτε με τον "le chiffre indéchiffrable").


Deciphering is, in my opinion, one of the most fascinating of arts, and I fear I have wasted upon it more time than it deserves. I practised it in its simplest form when I was at school. The bigger boys made ciphers, but if I got hold of a few words, I usually found out the key. The consequence of this ingenuity was occasionally painful: the owners of the detected ciphers sometimes thrashed me, though the fault really lay in their own stupidity.

There is a kind of maxim amongst the craft of decipherers ..., that every cipher can be deciphered.

I am myself inclined to think that deciphering is an affair of time, ingenuity, and patience; and that very few ciphers are worth the trouble of unravelling them.


Η συνέχεια εδώ, και στο contents πολύ περισσότερο υλικό συν emulator της αναλυτικής μηχανής.
Στην αρχική φωτογραφία είναι τμήμα της διαφορικής μηχανής.


No comments:

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.