Thursday, January 04, 2007

..on the shoulders of giants

I know not what I appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell, whilest the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.

Sir Isaac Newton, 4 Ιανουαρίου 1643 – 31 Μαρτίου 1727


Ενδεικτικά, ένα online ξεφύλλισμα του Arithmetica Universalis (στα λατινικά), που ήταν βασισμένο στις σημειώσεις από τις παραδόσεις του και μάλιστα ο ίδιος ήταν αντίθετος στην έκδοση αυτή.
(σε αυτό το έργο περιέχεται -χωρίς απόδειξη- και ο κανόνας για τον καθορισμό του πλήθους των ριζών μιας πολυωνυμικής εξίσωσης)

..και ένα πιο κατανοητό απόσπασμα από το Principia Mathematica


*Περισσότερα : The Isaac Newton Institute for mathematical sciences



If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants.


No comments:

 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.